MUST VISIT PLACES IN BENGALURU
It is situated at Old Airport Road, Bangalore, was built in 1995. It features a Shiva statue that is 65 feet (20 m) tall idol. It is estimated that over 500,000 devotees and visitors come to the temple every year. On Maha Shivratri alone, between 100,000 and 150,000 devotees visit the temple every year. In the first six months of 2018, the temple has already been visited by 275,909 people.
The HAL Aerospace Museum established in 2001, is spread over 4 acres of land and is believed to be India’s first aerospace museum. This one of a kind set-up consists of two main halls. The first one showcases charts of the evolution of aviation starting from the year 1940. The second major hall displays interesting and real models of aero engines. These include the Garret, Orpheus and Adour.
It is the magnificent accommodation of the valiant ruler of Mysore, Tipu Sultan. The palace is located in the Bangalore Fort which is situated in old Bangalore. An exquisite example of Indo-Islamic architecture, the opulent palace was once used as a summer retreat by the king and was often referred to as the ‘Abode of Happiness’ and ‘Rash e Jannat’ meaning ‘Envy of Heaven’. Amongst one of the most noteworthy creations of the ancient times, the palace boasts of ornamental frescoes, magnificent arches, protruding balconies and brilliant motifs.
The palace has a floor area of 45,000 sft, and grounds of 454 acres (183 ha). The palace was built in Tudor Revival style architecture with fortified towers, battlements and turrets. The interiors were decorated with elegant wood carvings, floral motifs, cornices and relief paintings on the ceiling. The furniture, which was neo-classical, Victorianand Edwardian in style, was bought from John Roberts and Lazarus. A total of 35 rooms were built in the palace with most of them being bedrooms and a swimming pool. The renovation included addition of stained glass and mirrors, specially imported from England, besides a manual lift and wooden fans from General Electric.
It is an old botanical garden in Bengaluru, started by Hyder Ali and Tipu Sultan, it was later managed under numerous British Superintendents before Indian Independence. It was responsible for the introduction and propagation of numerous ornamental plants as well as those of economic value. It also served a social function as a park and recreational space, with a central glass house dating from 1890 which was used for flower shows. In modern times it hosts two flower shows coinciding with the week of Republic Day (26 January) and Independence Day (15 August). It is also home to numerous wild species of birds and other wildlife.
It is the seat of the state legislature of Karnataka. It is constructed in a style sometimes described as Mysore Neo-Dravidian, and incorporates elements of Indo-Saracenic and Dravidian styles. The construction was completed in 1956. It is the largest Legislative building in India. Its eastern face has a porch with 12 granite columns, 40 feet (12 m) feet tall. Leading to the foyer is a flight of stairs with 45 steps, more than 200 feet (61 m) wide. The central dome, 60 feet (18 m) in diameter, is crowned by a likeness of the Indian national emblem. The front of the building is inscribed with the slogan “Government’s Work is God’s Work”. The building is illuminated on Sundays and public holidays.
It is a constituent unit of the National Council of Science Museums (NCSM), Ministry of Culture, Government of India, was established in memory of Bharat Ratna Sir M. Visvesvaraya. The building, with a built up area of 4,000 m2, was constructed in Cubbon Park. It houses various scientific experiments and engines, and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, on 14 July 1962. The first gallery set up at VITM, on the theme of ‘Electricity’, was opened to the public on 27 July 1965.
Located in Rajajinagar area of Bangalore, ISKCON Temple is a revered shrine dedicated to Lord Krishna. It is one of the largest ISKCON temples in the world. The temple is a huge cultural complex that was inaugurated in 1997 by Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma. The project was conceived and executed by Madhu Pandit Dasa. Apart from a religious shrine, ISKCON temple is a cultural complex accommodating dedicated deities of Sri Sri Radha Krishnachandra, Sri Sri Krishna Balarama, Sri Sri Nitai Gauranga, Sri Srinivasa Govinda and Sri Prahlada Narasimha. ISKCON Temple conducts a wide variety of activities directed towards rediscovering spirituality on an individual level as well as creating a spirit of harmony in the community.